For weekend camping trips within a few hours of our home base, I believe there's no reason to both overcomplicate and skimp on meals. All you need is a cooler with ice packs and you can bring just about anything, except ice cream I suppose. I'm also a big fan of doing as much prep work as possible to make meal preparation at camp easier. This includes baking any goodies, washing all the produce, and preparing condiments and sauces before setting off for the weekend.
On our recent weekend trip to Gifford Pinchot National Forest (and our unplanned visit to the Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument) we were fortunate enough to have a couple of really special treats to try out from Cappellos. This is the second time I've made gnocchi while camping and I think it's one of my all time favorite camping meals. It cooks fast and fills up your tummy just right after a day of adventuring. Cappellos is the best gluten free gnocchi I've had thus far and I will be ordering more to bring on future camping trips. Two of the things I really like about it are the sensible ingredient list and that it freezes well - both attributes important in our household.
Getting back to the rest of the meals, I prepped many items in advance for this particular trip including the lime curd, blueberry chia jam, biscuits, Cappellos chocolate chip cookies (which you'll love if you're into sea salt and sensible ingredients), and pesto. Below you'll find the one day packing list for what we used to cook gluten free and easy camping meals for two and a trip video of our day making delicious food and exploring Gifford Pinchot National Forest.
Packing List: One Day of Easy Gluten Free Camping Meals For Two
- 4 large eggs
- 1 jar lime curd (recipe - just substitute lime juice for the lemon juice)
- 1 jar blueberry chia jam (recipe - I substituted honey for maple syrup)
- 1 container pre-made gluten free biscuits (recipe)
- 1 bag of genmaicha tea
- 1 serving of ground coffee and a coffee filter
- 1 loaf of bread (we brought gluten free challah from New Cascadia Traditional Bakery)
- 1 jar of honey mustard
- 1 package of sliced roast turkey breast
- 1 chunk of soft cheese (we brought Rocastin sheep's milk cheese)
- 1 large handful of arugula
- 2 pulots
- 1 jar of cookies (we brought Cappellos brand which we pre baked at home)
- 1 bag of trail mix (we used mixed nuts, chocolate covered hemp seeds, and dried apricots)