When I moved to Seattle in 2010, I was absolutely thrilled by the relative abundance of gluten free friendly restaurants. Prior to that, I was living in a little town on the California coast with NO options - in fact, I was frequently told by restaurant staff that I could not be accommodated. So moving to Seattle was like moving to a gluten free friendly wonderland. Three years and a heck of a lot of travelling later, I think Seattle is just starting to catch up with it's biggest rival in terms of gluten free friendliness; Portland, Oregon. More and more restaurants are including information on their regular menus to indicate gluten free items or ones that can be adapted.
Since Seattle has just over 300 people descending upon it this weekend to attend the International Food Bloggers Conference (IFBC) and I'm positive I'm not the only gluten free one in the bunch, I thought I'd share some of the spots I keep returning to for great gluten free eats throughout the city. I've also included a number of links to other resources to query for even more ideas.
Let's take this one step further as well; if you find a great gluten free friendly establishment during your weekend at IFBC - share it on twitter or instagram with the hashtag; #IFBCgf.
My Favorites in Central Seattle: (Downtown, South Lake Union, Belltown, etc.)
- Gluten Free Menu
- Go for the thick house made corn tortillas - ask for a side of those when ordering the guacamole since the chips are cooked in a shared fryer.
- Gluten Free & Vegetarian Options On Menu
- Go for the fresh seasonal local fare and awesome ambiance.
- Gluten Free & Vegan Options On Menu
- Go for the delicious laksa and rice noodle dishes.
My Favorites in North Seattle (Ballard, Wallingford, University District, etc.)
- Gluten Free, Vegetarian, and Vegan Options Identified On Menu
- Go for inventive takes on classic dishes.
- Gluten Free Options Identified on Menu, All Vegetarian
- Go for the sandwiches - they make great gluten free bread!
- Gluten Free and Vegan Cakes Available.
- Go for the hot cakes and vegan caramel sauce.
- Gluten Free Crepes and Treats.
- Go for the wide selection of tea and the crepes.
- Gluten Free Options Available. Discuss with your server.
- Go for the delicious sauces, meats, and beans. Best Mexican food in Seattle, in my opinion.
- Gluten Free and Vegan Menus Available
- Go for the incredibly fresh seasonal dishes.
Other spots on my personal list to try (you might find me at one of these this week!):
Find even more gluten free and vegan friendly options and blogger recommendations here;
- Seattle Gluten Free
- Seattle Dining from Cooking Gluten Free
- Guide to Gluten Free: Seattle Restaurants
- Gluten Free Noms Restaurant List
- Art of Gluten Free Baking's Recommendations
- Northwest Herbivore's Gluten Free Vegan Tour of Seattle
- Gluten Free Mom's Restaurant List
- Gluten Free Travel to Seattle from Mister Belly
- Gluten Free Seattle in Delight Magazine
- No Umbrella's Gluten Free In Seattle
- Rock A Healthy Lifestyle's Gluten Free Seattle Visit
- Celiac and the Beast's Gluten Free Travel: Seattle